A rental manager has plenty of duties to make sure an investment property stays profitable. If you’re both the investor and the property manager, then you likely have your hands full balancing it all. Staying on top of critical tasks to help your properties generate a good ROI requires time, experience, and the right resources. However, sometimes one of the simplest things you can do can help boost returns!
The best property management Salt Lake City offers can fill you in on one major tip that is sure to keep your ROIs looking good: keeping your properties sparkling clean.
Reasons Why Clean Rental Properties Boost ROI
When calculating ROI, a Salt Lake City property management company can tell you that some of the main factors involved in the calculation are your income and expenses, including any investments to get a property ready for the tenants. If you’re looking for one of the easiest and most cost-effective ways to increase returns, cleaning a rental property yields a high-value return. If you don’t have the cash flow for other types of property upgrades, a thorough cleaning can have a big impact on your bottom line!
A thorough, deep clean can help your property look like new. Even if you have older appliances, older carpeting, or an older bathroom, property management experts know that the home can look fresher and newer once properly cleaned. Plus, cleaning your property can help improve ROI because you won’t have to invest much money into the project—but the results can impress new tenants. A clean property also sets the tone with residents and encourages them to keep your rental clean throughout the lease term. Clean properties often reduce the potential for costly damage resulting from pest infestations or hoarding situations that create unsanitary conditions.
To tackle a thorough cleaning, the only things rental property owners need are time, a few supplies, and a bit of effort.
Tips to Get Started Cleaning your Rentals
Property managers know you can make your property shine with items you probably already have. If not, you can pick up what you need for relatively little expense. Collect these items before diving into the cleaning project:
- Washing rags
- Large bucket
- Different-sized brushes (at least one with a handle)
- Cleaning solution(s). You may need different cleaners for different types of jobs. For example, for simple tasks, you can use an all-purpose cleaner. However, for deep cleaning the oven or washing a wood floor, you might need special cleaners.
- Duster with a long handle
- Heavy-duty scour pads. These are especially handy for scrubbing stovetops, tubs, showers, and some flooring. They can scrub out stains without damaging the surface. Always try a small area first to be sure it is safe before proceeding.
- Carpet cleaner (more on this below)
You can always get additional cleaning supplies if a property has a special need. Also, if buying cleaners becomes too pricey for your budget, prepare your own DIY cleaning products.
When tackling a rental property cleaning job, residential property management companies recommend tackling the kitchen and bathrooms first, then handling the carpeting (if applicable) and other miscellaneous jobs.
Cleaning List for The Kitchen
A methodical approach to the kitchen helps ensure every nook and cranny gets a thorough cleaning.
- Clean the inside and outside of the refrigerator (and don’t forget the top). Be sure to move it away from the wall to clean the condenser coils located in the back.
- Do a deep clean of the oven and stove. You can use a self-cleaning oven cleaner to make the process easier.
- Wash the countertops and backsplash.
- Wipe down cabinets inside and out. Consider placing shelf liners in the cupboards.
- Sweep and scrub the floor.
While in the kitchen, take a close look at cabinet hardware. Replacing worn or damaged handles and hinges is another good way to boost ROI!
Cleaning List for The Bathroom
When working your way through the bathrooms, put these items on your cleaning list.
- Scrub out any stains from the tub, shower walls, and sinks.
- Disinfect and clean the toilet.
- Clean the mirrors.
- Mop the floor.
Check and replace outdated cabinet hardware in here, too!
Go through the house with your dusting tool and knock down any cobwebs that are lurking in the corners. Dust off all ceiling fans and any other wood in the home. Look near the doors and light switches and wipe away smudges of dirt.
If your home has carpet, start by vacuuming to prepare for deep cleaning. Depending on your budget and how much time you have, either rent a steam cleaner and do the job yourself or hire a pro.
Hire Property Management Services for Your Rentals
Your new tenants deserve a clean and well-sanitized home before move-in day! A thorough cleaning between tenancies and when preparing your property’s listing can help impress new residents and boost returns. When tenants renew their lease, offer a “renewed lease special” deep cleaning to keep your property in excellent condition!
Choose a company that offers property management services to keep rentals clean and well-maintained. Reeder Asset Management can help you boost ROI with our expert strategies! Reach out if you’re ready to review returns and find ways for improvement.
Looking for a few quick ROI tips? Download the free checklist!